The Diocese of Providence CareBreaks Program offers a program of respite services to the primary caregivers of eligible individuals through Information, Referral and Service Coordination, and a respite break. This is a cost-sharing program with services available on a statewide basis.
CareBreaks provides short-term relief to primary caregivers who care for a friend or loved one on a day-to-day basis. Respite breaks for a primary caregiver are often necessary to allow that person to continue providing care over a long period of time. CareBreaks allows the primary caregiver time off either to take a vacation, shop, attend to personal business, or just rest.
The objectives of CareBreaks are:
- to preserve maximum independence of the care recipient and the primary caregiver by preventing or postponing institutionalization of the care recipient;
- provide the least restrictive lifestyle for both the care recipient and primary caregiver;
- and to maintain or improve the quality of life of both the care recipient and primary caregiver.
Services and offerings: Powerful Tools for Caregivers
Catholic Social Services of Rhode Island offers the Powerful Tools for Caregivers training program, to give you the skills to take care of yourself while caring for someone else. By taking care of your own health and well-being, you become a better caregiver. Classes are led by experienced class leaders in both English and Spanish. In six weekly classes, currently virtual, caregivers develop a wealth of self-care tools to:
- reduce personal stress;
- change negative self-talk;
- communicate their needs to family members and healthcare or service providers;
- communicate effectively in challenging situations;
- recognize the messages in their emotions, deal with difficult feelings;
- and make tough caregiving decisions.
Class participants also receive a copy of The Caregiver Helpbook, developed specifically for the class.
- Register for a Powerful Tools for Caregivers class:
Contact Jan Vargas at 401-421-7833 Ext. 202 or JVargas@dioceseofprovidence.org
Nursing School Respite
In addition to the Diocese’s cost sharing program for respite, respite services are available free of charge by junior and senior level nursing students from RIC, URI (pediatric clients only), CCRI, and Salve Regina University. The program is designed to provide respite for caregivers of children and adults who have long-term disabilities or complex medical needs and require the help of a care provider in order to remain at home. The program has been functioning since 2016 through CareBreaks, the participating colleges, and the Rhode Island Office of Healthy Aging. It has provided an innovative addition to the ways in which home care is provided in RI. An option to access the nursing student program is included on the general application for respite services.
- Register for the Nursing Student Program:
Contact Ann McCarthy at 401-421-7833 Ext. 209 or AMcCarthy@dioceseofprovidence.org
For More Information
- Visit our website: www.dioceseofprovidence.org
- Contact Hector M. Munoz, CareBreaks Coordinator at 401-421-7833 Ext. 212
- Apply for respite services:
- Call Catholic Social Services of RI at 401-421-7833 Ext. 212
- Download an application from our website: www.dioceseofprovidence.org
- Mail completed application with the required documentation:
Catholic Social Services
One Cathedral Square
Providence, RI 02903